The Friends of Murphys Point Park is a registered non-profit charity that formed in 1995. Entirely volunteer run with an elected board of directors and executive, Friends members work to enhance the natural heritage education program at Murphys Point Provincial Park. Our mandate is to further the public’s awareness, education and understanding of the geological, historical/archaeological, cultural and biological resources of Murphys Point Provincial Park by:
- Undertaking specific educational and interpretive projects related to the park
- Conducting research about the park’s natural, cultural and historical resources with a view to disseminating findings to the public
- Supporting existing educational, interpretive and recreational programs for the public’s benefit
- Stimulating community interest and understanding of the park to help ensure its protection
We work in cooperation with Ontario Parks and are one of dozens of Friends organizations doing similar work throughout Ontario.
Some of our projects include:
- Hiring students each summer for the Natural Heritage Education program
- Archaeo Apprentice
- Super Kids In Parks
- Gray Ratsnake conservation programs
- Interpretive displays and signage
- Publications (Silver Queen Mine Trail Guide, Voices of Hogg Bay, Who’s Missing from Murphys Point)
- Naturalist backpack program (backpacks available for loan in visitor centre that include field guides, binoculars, a compass, First Aid kit, etc.)
- Ore wagon restoration on Silver Queen Mine Trail
- An osprey nesting platform near the Lally Homestead (which has been inhabited several times) and a loon nesting platform on Loon Lake
- Hosted or co-hosted many special events, such as the Heritage Mica Days, Build a Bridge Bash, displays at Perth Festival of the Maples in April and other events and parades
- Funded special guests for Natural Heritage Education programming
- Sylvan Trailhead Sign
- A new home for the Visitor Centre Gray Ratsnakes
- Bullfrog research
- Friends’ Corner in Park Store
Peruse the other pages on this website to learn about some of our major projects and events and how you can get involved. New members are always welcome and you can sign up online on the Membership page. Donations can also be made online.
We look forward to meeting you!